CITRUS CHICKEN SALAD
- Romaine lettuce (or whichever greens you prefer: spinach, lettuce, etc. I just prefer Romaine because its a more sturdy lettuce, less likely to get soggy or wilted.)
- 1 can of mandarin oranges
- 1 bag of Tyson chicken chunks (Or, you can use chicken breast, cubed or sliced)
- Fresh strawberries if in season (not necessary but an added bonus)
- Sliced Almonds (they have a good brand out there call Almond Accents in the produce area of your grocery store and they have different flavors. The one that works best with this salad are the butter toffee Almond Accents.)
- Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Tangerine Balsamic Vinegar
If you’re like me and don’t have a lot of time you can buy the pre cooked chicken that’s already cubed. I like Tyson Chicken Chunks in the grocer’s freezer. You’re able to just heat the chicken over the stove top for about 10 mins. Or, you can cook your own chicken breast and slice or cube it. You can always put the extra in Tupperware and make another salad later…. You don’t have to do this but, I cook the chicken with a little bit of the Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil to get a bit of orange flavor in the chicken. Wash your lettuce of choice and arrange in a large bowl.
Place chicken over the top Open and drain the can of mandarin oranges (I usually cut these in half because you get more of the oranges and they are fairly large) and put on top of lettuce as well. In a separate bowl, whisk together The Olive Branch’s Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil along with the Tangerine Balsamic Vinegar. Try 2 parts vinegar and 1 part oil. Taste to decide if your dressing needs more of one or the other….
If you’re feeding a family I’d use the entire bag of Butter Toffee Almond Accents Pour your Orange and Tangerine dressing over everything and toss. I haven’t had one person say they don’t like it, unless your don’t care for citrus flavor. It’s great for a summertime salad or to boost your spirits on a cold, dark day. Again, at The Olive Branch, you can always come in and try it out first to see if you like it but I’m sure you will!